Friday, June 15, 2012

How to Install ShareFile Desktop Widget

The more I play around with ShareFile, the more I love it. This Citrix tool is awesome, and gives me true Follow-Me-Data. One little tidbit that I enjoy is the ShareFile Desktop Widget. This provides a seamless window where I can click and drag files from my PC, straight into my ShareFile account. I can then see my newly added files from my Android tablet, my SmartPhone, or really anything that has a browser and internet connection. My ShareFile data can also be accessed via my Citrix Receiver which is a nice little perk for mobile XenApp/XenDesktop users. There is serious potential for ShareFile in the VDI space. Here's a quick step-by-step to installing the ShareFile Desktop Widget. 
 
Perquisites:  You must have an active ShareFile account. You can sign up for a FREE trial account at: FREE ShareFile Trial  
You may use the Desktop Widget in conjunction with ShareFile Sync (For Windows). The Desktop Widget also requires Adobe Air to be installed. If you don’t already have Adobe Air installed, you will be prompted to install it as part of the Widget install.

Step 1) From your Mac or PC, open a web browser and go to: http://www.sharefile.com/In the upper right hand corner click on the “User Login” button. 

 



















Steps 2) At the logon screen enter your ShareFile User ID and password and click “Sign In”. 





















Step 3) From the ShareFile user home screen, click on the “My Settings” link in the upper right corner. 




















 Step 4) On the My Settings screen click on the “Desktop Tools” link.



 
















Step 5) Scroll through the list of available desktop tools. Find the “Desktop Widget” and click the green “Download” button. 


 

















Step 6) A new tab will open. In the new tab click on the “Install Now” button. This will start the Desktop Widget install. 


 

















Step 7) If you do not have Adobe Air installed, you will now be prompted to do so. Click on the “Open” button prompted by the Application Installer. 


 









Step 8) Next, you will be prompted to install the Desktop Widget. Click “Install” to begin the process. 

 












Step 9) Accept the default Installation Preferences and Installation Location. Click “Continue”. 


 














Step 10) Once the installation process is complete, the Desktop Widget will start. At this point, the widget install is complete. Users can now start adding local files to their ShareFile account!


 


























*To add a file is as simple as click, drag, drop.

 


















Additional Settings

Users may want to “Hide” or minimize the Desktop Widget when it’s not in use. Follow these steps to hide the Widget in the task bar.

Step 1) In your Desktop Widget tool bar, click on Edit, Preferences. Check the box “Minimize to Tray”. Click “Save”. You will notice ShareFile has been minimized in your Task Bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment